7 Key Traits to finding a good Funeral director so your funeral planning is stress free and peaceful
A good Funeral Director is the only person you will need when planning a funeral. Tell them what you want to accomplish and they arrange and coordinate every aspect of your event.
Having a good funeral director is like having a trusted personal assistant.
Finding a list of Funeral Directors is easy. Either search your local yellow pages under funeral services, use your favorite internet search engine and type in “funeral directors” or check your local newspaper. These quick searches will give you a good list.
Now you are armed with a list, which one should you choose. The ads will look fancy, the promises will sound great, yet you have no way of knowing, which will be the best Funeral Director for you. It takes a little more than a few mouse clicks to find a good Funeral Director. We have done the research and compiled a list of things you should look for.
- More Funeral Arrangements Tips and Resources You Might Find Helpful:
- Online Funeral Resources - For helping with arrangements, planning and saving money
- Funeral Planning Guide and Checklist E-Book (Now Free) - Save thousands of dollars while still paying your deepest respects for the deceased.
- The Basics of How to Organize a Funeral - Learn how to get organized easily and quickly
- How do I Write a Eulogy - Step-by-step guide to writing a thoughtful and meaningful eulogy
- Choosing the Right Funeral Director - Learn how to choose the right funeral director
FUNERAL PLANNING GUIDE: What everyone needs to know about funeral arrangements. This complete guide to saving money on funeral expenses is available for instant PDF download with a bonus funeral planning checklist.
Top 7 traits to look for when choosing a good Funeral Director.
- State-Licensed. Every good Funeral Director is in good standing with the state- licensing authority. His or her license either will be prominently displayed or will produce it on-demand.
- Offers comprehensive services in a basic package. Funeral packages should include these basics: moving the deceased to the mortuary, preparing the remains for disposition (burial, cremation or organ donation), arranging the ceremony to honor the deceased, cater to the family's needs and fulfilling the final disposition wishes of the deceased.
- Provide Quotes Over the Phone. Reputable Funeral Director provides quotes over the phone without hesitation. The also will produce the same information in writing.
- Event Coordinator. Their main role is to be the central point of contact for you and your family. Good Funeral Directors will coordinate all of the logistics of the burial process including:
- Making arrangements with the officiating minister.
- Setting the location, date and time of the wake, memorial service and burial
- Ensuring the event locations are tastefully decorated and prepared for all services
- Preparing the obituary and placing it in the newspaper, in online obituary listings and in local bulletins.
- Arrange for a hearse to carry the body to the funeral home, church and or mortuary.
- Ensure pallbearers and other participants are selected and informed of their roles.
- Grief Counselor. Will always offer comfort to the grieving family or recommend them to local grieving services for additional support.
- Out of State Transportation Coordinator. If you have a need to ship the deceased remains out of state, a good funeral director will prepare the body and process the necessary paperwork. Reducing your level of stress.
- Administrative Assistant. Good Funeral Directors will also help you process all of the needed paperwork associated with the deceased. Including :
- Making sure, the final death certificate and appropriate number of copies are issued by the appropriate authorities.
- Will work with insurance companies to help you file your claim. This will relieve the hassle of dealing with unnecessary red-tape.
- Will help you apply for social security and veteran's benefits. They may also help you get any retirement savings, life insurance and or annuities transferred.
During your time of grief, choosing the right people for the services you need is essential. Having a good Funeral Director on your side, will go a long way in making this period of grief peaceful and stress-free.